Types of Higher Education

There are different types of higher education course in the UK and the time they take to complete can vary. For example, a Foundation Degree (not to be confused with an Art Foundation degree) can be achieved in two years if studied full-time. Given that you could be studying a specialist subject over a long period of time, you should make sure that your chosen course will hold your interest. Foundation degrees can also be studied part-time and are linked to the relevant industry.

A typical undergraduate degree usually takes three years full time to complete. Some courses are longer, for example, those in medicine or business courses (which can include a year-long ‘sandwich’ placement where you work or study in the UK or abroad). Most universities and colleges will offer virtually all their courses on a part-time basis too.

After you have completed an undergraduate degree, if you wish to study further, a postgraduate degree usually allows you to specialise in a particular area or industry.

There are also many part-time courses available, either at universities or colleges or through long-distance learning such as Open University.

UCAS handles admissions for all full-time higher education courses but for part-time courses you need to contact the higher or further education college or university directly to make your application.

Be Sociable, Share!