Information For Young People
Is this you?
- You are friends with older adults
- You have an older boyfriend or girlfriend
- You stay out later and even all night
- You don’t spend time with your family or friends your own age very much
- You don’t go to school
- You’ve tried and use drugs and alcohol
- You are chatting online to people you don’t know and have never met
If so you could be at risk.
Some adults encourage young people into sexual relationships. These adults will often be nice to young people and make them feel special. They may offer young people drugs and alcohol and a place to chill out – they may also buy young people gifts like clothes or mobile phones.
Once these adults have gained young people’s trust their behaviour changes. They will ask young people for sexual favours in return for the gifts, often they will become violent and threatening.
You are not to blame if this is happening to you – we are here to help you.
Concerned about yourself or a friend? Contact the Sexual Exploitation Service on 0114 2018645