If you are looking for rented accommodation in Sheffield, there are a number of different places you can try.

Estate Agents: There are many estate agents firms in the city, such as Blundells, Reeds Rains and Winkworth. They act as ‘agents’ for private landlords and will advertise and promote the properties they have for rent. Check the Sheffield Telegraph’s Property Guide every Friday or visit the estate agents’ own websites.

Lettings Agencies: Lettings agencies specialise in renting out accommodation. Letting agencies in Sheffield are also listed in the Accommodation Agencies document above.

Individual Landlords: Rather than going through an agent, you can also find many individual landlords with property to rent in the city. The City Council and the two Universities’ support a Responsible Landlord Scheme to ensure the people are able to rent safe, suitable housing. You can find private rental adverts in the Star Newspaper every Thursday, in local Post Offices, newsagents or via recommendations from friends, colleagues etc…

Some important things to remember about Private Rented Accommodation

• You may be asked to pay a bond (an amount of money used as a deposit) in advance. This is usually returned to you at the end of the rental period and you may be able to apply to the Social Fund for help with paying a bond.

• Landlords can (and probably will) ask for rent in advance. Usually it is your first months rent and like the bond you may be able to apply to the Social Fund for help with this.

• If you are a new private tenant you may have fewer rights than people renting from the City Council, or housing associations. Sheffield City Council’s website contains important information for Private Tenants which you can read prior to signing any rental contract.

• Some landlords will not accept people if they will have to claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance to help them pay the rent.

Be Sociable, Share!