Your Benefits/the law

If you’re on a low income and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent, you may be able to get benefits to help you if you are eligible.

Here are a few of the main benefits that may be available to you:

Social Fund

If you are on a low income and have to deal with an unexpected or emergency cost, the Social Fund (sometimes called a Crisis Loan) may be able to offer a grant or loan to help. If you want to apply for the Social Fund you can download a form by visiting the Job Centre Plus website.

Housing Benefit

For more information on Housing Benefit and to find out if you are eligible, visit the Sheffield City Council website.

You may find that some landlords will not accept people if they are claiming Housing Benefit to help them pay the rent. Always ask your potential landlord if you are unsure.

Local Housing Allowance

If you are a private tenant renting property or a room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance.

Like Housing Benefit, some landlords may not accept people if they claim Local Housing Allowance. (But many will!)

You will not be able to claim Local Housing Allowance or Housing Benefit if you are a full-time student (unless you are disabled or have children).

Sheffield City Council’s website has more information on Local Housing Allowance and how you can claim.

Useful Links & Contacts

Various organisations can give you more detailed information on your rights when renting private accommodation.

Sheffield Housing Aid Centre

First Point
Howden House
1 Union Street
South Yorkshire
S1 2FH

Tel: 0114 273 5450


The housing and homelessness charity. Visit the Shelter website.

Be Sociable, Share!