- Education & Training
- Careers Advice
- Jobs and Opportunities
- Need Help?
- Your Space
- About Us
Important Information regarding EMA (Educational Maintenance Allowance)
The Government has announced that EMA discontinue after January 2011. Students who are already receiving EMA will continue to do so until the end of this academic year. Please note:
1. No EMA applications received after 31st December 2010 will be processed
2. If you have not yet applied for EMA for this academic year (2010/11), you must apply by 31st December 2010 to be able to claim any payments for this academic year.
3. If you have a valid Notification of Entitlement but are currently not claiming EMA, you will be able to do so as soon as you begin a learning or training programme but this will finish at the end of this academic year.
The Government has stated it will fund schools, colleges and training providers to support young people. This discretionary funding will be targeted on those most in need as identified by the provider. This is not a replacement for EMA.
Speak to your careers teacher, your Connexions Personal Adviser or the national helpline of the Learner Support Service of the Young People’s Learning Agency on 0845 600 7979
You can also visit the Money to Learn website for more information.
Contact individual colleges or sixth forms for more information on Learner Support Funds and School Access Scheme. This type of funding:
• Can help with some of the costs of a course e.g. books, equipment, visits / field trips
• Is for students in greatest need; whether you can claim depends on household income and / or family circumstances